Moving to another city is an emotional and taxing change. It begins a new chapter in your life. Everything around is different and exciting and many opportunities are there to explore. It’s a chance to start afresh and rebuild your life the way you’ve always wanted. You can try and get your dream job, create your dream home, meet your dream people and what not. However, all this won’t be as easy as it looks. You’ll need to find the right job, the right home, and the right people first.
If we talk about finding a home, there are many factors that come into consideration. It includes the type and size of the house, location, traffic patterns, amenities, safety, neighborhood, distance from office and schools, etc. It will not be an easy task to find a house with all the requirements. It’s only after living in a certain area you will get to know the neighborhood. Therefore, it is always advisable to rent a house before buying a permanent one when moving to another city. This will give you the chance to explore your new area. It will also help you in finding a new perfect house.
Advantages and Drawbacks of renting a house in a new city:
Renting a house is better and the smarter way when moving to a new city as it gives flexibility and simplicity:
- Finding and buying a permanent house is a big deal, while you are dealing with the sale of your old house. You can find the house on rent which is much easier to find. It will allow you to focus your time and energy on the forthcoming relocation. You are dealing with emotional low of saying goodbye to family and friends, and organizing your move. This way you will take off some of the stress of moving house and city.
- It will give you enough time to unwind after your big move. It is a great help in adjusting to a new community while setting up a new home.
- You get a better chance to explore your new area and know the good and bad of your new city. Before you decide on a place to live permanently, rent a house to check.
You can also know the neighborhood well, here is how:
- This will be an opportunity to test out a neighborhood before being a permanent resident of it.
- It will enable you to carefully research on better housing options and, if necessary, you can also invest in a better upcoming and developing project.
- So you can wait for a while until an appropriate property becomes available.
- And even after buying a new home you’ll be able to complete any repairs and renovations without any time limit before moving in.
- You will not be burdened with a mortgage and a home loan initially.
With all of the above-mentioned positives, there are certain negatives as well of renting a house in a new city:
- After a few months, you may have to move again when you find a permanent new home in your new city. Even if you only may have to move across town, it is going to be a big hassle of relocating for a second time within several months can be just too much.
- There will always be uncertainty and you won’t able to settle in, feel at home, and adapt to your new surroundings because you’re living in a short-term rental.
- Your rented property may not be large enough to accommodate all your stuff so you may have to pay for extra storage.
- You may need to change schools of your children multiple times within a year.
- You may not get many options for renting homes if you have pets.
Advantages and drawbacks of buying a home immediately after moving to a new city:
Buying a new home is a huge financial and emotional commitment. Owning a house and being in charge of your surroundings is very beneficial. These benefits make all the investment worth it:
- There will be a place of your own which will give u a feeling of stability and security in your life.
- You will have a home as per your specific needs and you will be able to live as per your lifestyle in terms of size, layout, and amenities.
- It is easy to arrange, organize and decorate your own house as per your choice.
- You will feel settled in and it will be easier to find your place in your new community. A new home will bring a sense of belonging to the surroundings too.
- No money will be wasted on rent, as you will be investing in your own property.
Along with all of the above benefits, there are certain drawbacks and risks too of buying a home in a new city:
- You may have to make a hasty decision. You may not even get a chance to see the available housing options in person and may end up buying an inappropriate property.
- The chances of knowing the peculiarities of the different neighborhoods in your new city is low. You may end up buying in an area you might regret later.
- Moving a house itself is an expensive affair then immediately after this big move, you may not have the finances to afford a property that meets your ideal home requirements.
- It takes a lot of energy and time to hunt a new home, close the deal on your new property, and get your new place ready to move in. It will also be added to the moving stress.
The biggest risk of all is buying in a new city without really understanding the neighborhoods is to get stuck in a home.You may end up in a neighborhood that you may not like. The reasons can be the property’s value declines and you may not afford to sell it. It would mean losing a lot of money in paying off the mortgage and the closing costs.
You need to consider all the pro and cons of buying vs. renting a house when you move. Every homeowner has different requirements to meet. Thus, they may prefer renting over buying and vice versa. The best is to take out enough time and comprehend your needs. And then compare them against the advantages and disadvantages.
Did you know that hiring a local moving company allows you to have enough time to comprehend such decisions? The professional’s movers take away all the stress of packing and moving and offer you enough peace of mind. You can make big decisions related to your move, including the one about renting or buying a home.